A midwife is a healthcare provider who is specifically trained to help women with uncomplicated, low-risk pregnancies. Midwives provide women with an individualized, holistic care plan that is developed based upon their physical, mental, emotional, and cultural needs.
Midwives have expertise and skills in supporting women throughout their pregnancies and can also help women during delivery and after childbirth.
Your midwife can:
- Help with family planning and preconception care
- Monitor you and your baby’s well-being throughout your pregnancy and after delivery
- Conduct prenatal exams and routine tests
- Help you determine your birth plan
- Advise you on your diet, exercise, and medicines
- Provide you with information about your pregnancy, childbirth, and newborn care
- Provide practical and emotional support during labor
- Deliver your baby
- Provide you with referrals to doctors when needed
Collaborative care between midwives and physicians has proven to overwhelmingly improve maternal-newborn outcomes. Our midwife, Cassandra Elder, embraces the same philosophy that midwives in the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada do; that every woman deserves a midwife and some need an obstetrician, too.
Additional information on midwifery care can be found at www.midwife.org.
To learn more about Cassandra, click here.